[ Sgt Michael Willetts & Sgt Walter Beard ]

Falkland Islands

Personal accounts from those who were there

[ Cap Badge ]

[ 2 Para ]

[ 2 Para ]

[ 3 Para ]

[ 4 Para ]

Roll of Honour:


Palestine 1945 - 1948


Aden & Radfan

RAF Hastings Call Sign TG 577

Kiel Canal - Germany Wednesday 11th September 1974

131 Independent Parachute Squadron

Northern Ireland





The Parachute Regiment

Falkland Islands, Killed in Action.



The Falkland Islands 1982

It is appropriate that one of the few Falkland Islands flags flown permanently outside the island, should fly over this Memorial. Those who participated and lost their lives in the Liberation of our Islands in 1982 will always be remembered with gratitude and the many memorials around the island are important focal points for us. One of the most moving ceremonies during the visit of HRH the Prince of Wales, in March this year, was when he laid a wreath at the Parachute Memorial at Goose Green. The Memorial here in Northern Ireland is a fitting tribute to all members of the Parachute Regiment who have died in the service of their Country.

Ms Sukey Cameron
Falkland Islands Government.

[ The temporary graveyard and field hospital at ]

[ Airborne Cemetery at San Carlos Bay ]

Above shows the temporary graveyard and field hospital at 
Ajax Bay, San Carlos

Many thanks to Ken Griffiths
Able Seaman (Radar)
HMS Cardiff 1982. ... If anyone would like to contact Ken, he would love to hear from you email ... Click here

Airborne Cemetery at San Carlos Bay

Located on the outskirts of the settlement of Darwin, is the resting place of 237 countrymen, of the 649 Argentines lost their lives on the islands.
On July 14, 1999, Argentine and British governments signed a Joint Declaration, which among other things, agree that the Argentine Cemetery is ongoing and construction of a War Memorial in island land. Website link (Right).


[ The Argentine cemetery in Darwin is divided into 3 sections, North, East and West. ]

Honor the fallen in the South Atlantic

Tribute to the soldiers, noncommissioned officers and members of the Armed Forces, members of the security forces and civilians killed in the South Atlantic conflict.
Read more


2nd Parachute Regiment


[ Col. H. Jones, V.C., O.B.E. ]

Col. H. Jones, V.C., O.B.E. ... 28th May 1982

As the Chairman of the Falkland Families Association I know only too well what it means to the families of those who served with the Airborne Forces in 1982 in the South Atlantic to have them remembered at the Memorial Garden in Holywood. My husband, Col H Jones is buried in a serenely lovely spot far away in the cemetery of Blue Beach at San Carlos, Falkland Islands. For me and my family it is a great comfort to know that so much nearer to home we have this dedicated spot on which to focus our thoughts.

I would like to thank those who put so much time and love into ensuring that the Garden is always a place of dignity and beauty for the families to visit.

In these changing times, when in two short months those whose names are listed here will have died in another century and will be part of history, this memorial is a fitting tribute to the courage and dedication of those who laid down their lives while serving with Airborne Forces. 

I know that here in a quiet corner of Northern Ireland 'We will remember them'

Mrs Sarah Jones CBE JP
Wife of the late Col. H. Jones, V.C., O.B.E.
Killed 1982, Goose Green, Falkland Islands.

[ Artwork by Paul Chappell ]


Captain C Dent ... 28th May 1982

[ Captain D A Wood  ]

Captain D A Wood ... 28th May 1982

[ Lt Jim Barry ]


Lt Jim A Barry ... 28th May 1982

[ Cpl David Hardman. MID ]


Cpl David Hardman. MID ...28th May 1982

Thanks to Jimmy O'Connell ... 3 Para (Falklands Vet)

David Hardman was killed during the Falklands War.

The 22-year-old corporal died at the Battle of Darwin and Goose Green, one of the first engagements in a conflict which ended with British troops re-taking the South Atlantic islands from Argentina. Born in 1960 and the youngest of a family of four, David’s early years were spent on the Beechfield small holding in Meikle Earnock Road.

His father Thomas, a Ravenscraig worker, died aged 39 when he was electrocuted in an accident at the small holding. Following the tragedy, David moved with his mother Agnes, brother Frank and sisters Ann and Barbara to a flat in Strathaven Road, Hamilton. Agnes, a waitress at the Popinjay Hotel, Rosebank, died in 1977 at the age of 53, and it was Ann, now 55, who brought up her youngest brother. David attended Low Waters Primary and St John’s Grammar and played football for his school teams and the Boys’ Brigade.

In 1976, immediately after leaving school, David joined Second Battalion, the Parachute Regiment. He became a career soldier signing up for three years and later a further nine years. He honed his fitness and, according to Ann, was rarely seen with alcohol and, apparently, never went with girls. She added, however: “After he died, we received a number of telephone calls from girls he knew, so I think he was a bit of a dark horse.” David was promoted to lance corporal in 1977 and at the time of death had passed the stringent testing required for entry to the SAS. He served two years in Northern Ireland and narrowly escaped an IRA blast which killed 15 Paras and three members of the Queen’s Own Highlanders at Warrenpoint on August 28, 1979. Ann, who still lives in the Strathaven Road flat, said despite that horrific experience her brother remained committed to the Paras.

He was “rarin’ to go” when Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher sent the British Task Force south to remove Argentine forces from the Falklands. “He was home on leave and having a bath when he got the telegram telling him to report back to (the Paras’ base) at Aldershot,” added Ann. “I had never heard of the Falklands but David was glad they were going to see some action. He went away next day and that was the last I saw of him. ”David was killed on May 28, one of 17 members of 2 Para to die in the British assault on Argentine positions at Goose Green and Darwin. Goose Green was considered important to the invasion plan because of its close proximity to the British Forces’ beachhead at San Carlos. It was a fierce battle in which more than 1000 Argentine troops, many of them dug in, faced 600 members of 2 Para. The fighting spread over two days and David died when, with 2 Para’s commanding officer Lieutenant Colonel H Jones, he tried to wipe out an enemy machine gun position. Ann said: “Colonel Jones asked for volunteers to go over a hill and our David was the first with his hand up.” John Geddes, who fought with 2 Para that day and later wrote about the conflict in the book ‘Spearhead Assault: our fight to save the Falklands’, said David had been “shot up in an ill-fated assault on Argy positions”. He wrote that ‘Jock’ Hardman was a comrade for whom he would have died, and he added: “One of the other lads had been forced to use (David Hardman’s) body as cover and felt it twitching with enemy fire as Jock defended him even to the death.”

For his bravery in 2 Para’s victory at Goose Green, David was Mentioned in Dispatches. He is buried at Wellhall Cemetery, Hamilton, where a service is each year held in memory of him and two other Paras who died on active service and are interred there. Ann, who worked until retirement at the Popinjay, has a 33-year-old daughter, Alyson, and two grandchildren. She still chokes back tears as she remembers her brother and remains bitter that he died in a war that she believes could have been avoided. “Margaret Thatcher went into it too quickly without thinking of the consequences,” she said. “There could have been a diplomatic solution.” Ann added: “I couldn’t be more proud of David, but I wish he had not given his life for his country. “That, though, is me being selfish. I couldn’t have held him back. He would have knocked me down to get out of the door to go. He would definitely put his life on the line for the Paras; they were like his second family. “And if he had not died in the Falklands, it could have been somewhere else. It’s what he wanted to do. I am more than proud of him, but I miss him so much and I am just waiting until I get to see him again.”

[ Cpl Steve.R. Prior ]

Cpl Steve. R. Prior ... 28th May 1982

[ Cpl Paul. S. Sullivan  ]

Cpl Paul. S. Sullivan ... 28th May 1982

Read more

[ Lance Corporal Gary David BINGLEY ]


Lance Corporal Gary David BINGLEY. MM ... 28th May 1982

24347663 Lance Corporal Gary David BINGLEY, The Parachute Regiment 

Throughout 28th May 1982, the 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment were engaged in fierce fighting to take well entrenched enemy positions in the area of the Goose Green settlement on the Island of East Falkland. Lance Corporal Bingley was a Section Commander. During the battle his section came under fire at close quarters from two enemy machine-gun posts. To destroy the enemy positions he led his section in the assault and whilst leading was fatally wounded. His heroic action enabled his company to continue their advance and was significantly instrumental in defeating the enemy ... read more

[ MM ]

[ L/Cpl Tony Cork ]

L/Cpl Tony Cork ... 28th May 1982

[ L/Cpl Nigel Smith ]


L/Cpl Nigel Smith ... 28th May 1982

[ Pte Stephen Jeffrey J Dixon ]

Pte Stephen Jeffrey J Dixon ... 28th May 1982

[ Pte Mark W Fletcher (MID) ]

Pte Mark W Fletcher (MID)... 28th May 1982

[ Pte Mark Holman-Smith ]

Pte Mark Holman-Smith ...28th May 1982


Private S. ILLINGSWORTH, DCM ... 28th May 1982

2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment ... MONDAY, 11th OCTOBER 1982,MINISTRY OF DEFENCE

The QUEEN has been graciously pleased to approve the Posthumous award of the Distinguished Conduct Medal to the under mentioned in recognition of gallant and distinguished service during the operations in the South Atlantic:

24579367 Private Stephen ILLINGSWORTH, The Parachute Regiment

In the early hours of 28th May 1982, the 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment launched an attack on enemy positions in the area of the Darwin and Goose Green settlements on the Island of East Falkland. The enemy were thought to be entrenched in battalion strength. In the event, their numbers were far greater and fierce fighting ensued all day. Private Illingsworth was a member of 5 Platoon, which was the depth platoon in B Company's advance. At one point the advance came under heavy and accurate enemy fire, and OC B Company attacked the enemy position with his leading platoons, leaving 5 Platoon to provide covering fire. Dawn was growing stronger and it became clear that 5 Platoon was in fact exposed on a long forward slope without protection and very vulnerable to increasingly heavy enemy machine gun and rifle fire. Its position became untenable and it was ordered to withdraw back over the crest. It was during this manoeuvre that one of their number was hit in the back.

Private Illingsworth, who had already reached comparative safety himself, immediately rushed forward in full view and fire of the enemy, accompanied by another soldier, to help their wounded comrade. In an effort to locate the wound they removed his weapon and webbing equipment, and having administered First Aid, dragged the soldier back over the crest line, despite a hail of enemy fire which miraculously missed them. Once in a position of safety, Private Illingsworth continued to tend the injured man's wounds.

The fire fight continued intensively, and 5 Platoon began to run short of ammunition. Remembering that he had left the webbing equipment with ammunition in it, lying on the exposed forward slope, Private Illingsworth decided to go forward alone to collect it. Disregarding the enemy fire, which was still extremely heavy he broke cover and advanced once again down the forward slope. As he did so he was killed. In these two acts of supreme courage Private Illingsworth showed a complete disregard for his own

safety, and a total dedication to others. Whilst his action in coming to the help of a wounded soldier may have been almost instinctive on seeing the plight of a comrade, his move forward to collect much need ammunition for his beleagured platoon was a display of coolly-calculated courage and heroism of the very highest order.

[ Pte Tommy Mechan ]

Pte Tommy Mechan ... 28th May 1982

[ SGT. Gordon P M FINDLAY ]

SGT. Gordon P M FINDLAY ... 13th June1982

[ Pte David A Parr ]

Pte David A Parr ... 13th June1982

Dave Parr

[ Pte F Slough ]


Pte F Slough 13th June1982

3rd Parachute Regiment


Thanks to James O,Connell ex 3 Para for sending the photo opposite.

I know you are there
When I feel a breeze, I know you are there.
A shining star in the dark night sky, I know you are there.
The midday sun blinds my eyes; I know you are there.
The freezing snow bites my toes; I know you are there.
I see the blooms of spring; I know you are there.

The glorious colours of summer remind me, you are there.
The autumn leaves have fallen; I know you are there.
My only wish is that you where here, and not over there.

© Kenny Watt

In remembrance of the 23 Men of the 3rd Battalion,
The Parachute Regiment.
They paid the ultimate price for the freedom of others.
11th - 13th June 1982
Mount Longdon.


Tribute to the Sections in 3 PARA who fought and won on Mount Longdon and CSM Johnny John Weeks a rock to us all

Every man an emperor, every man a hero!

Pray to your God if you have one, chilling words, on a cold dark night
Said quietly by the Sergeant Major, to young men, making ready to fight,
The mission was clear, they all understood, as they waited the order to go,
Like their brothers in arms before them, prepared to rout their foe.

The order came down, they all moved out, as they had so often before,
When they trained for war, without bloodshed, and always came back for more,
Ready for anything, was etched in their souls, hearts were filled with pride,
United in fear and foreboding, yet strong, with right on their side.

Slowly they went, across open ground, crossed the river that barred their way,
There was no turning back, no place to hide, this would be their longest day,
With bayonets fixed, they closed on their prey, in silence, with ruthless intent,
To smite their foe on that mountain, in a rapid and deadly ascent.

Then leading his men, one triggered a mine, a dastardly weapon of dread,
All hell was let loose, the air filled with noise, as tracer turned the night sky red,
As a curtain of death rained down from the slopes, there was no hesitation or fear,
They would not be denied, they’d take no backward step, drive on, their mission was clear.

Confusion, chaos, and the putrid stench of war, quickly pervaded that hill,
The enemy in front, long prepared and dug in, would prove to be hard to kill,
But kill them they must, there was no other way, no white flag would be shown that night,
And as their own fell amongst them, every man there, was prepared to the end, to fight.

Momentum was slow, as the plan went awry, this bloody battle, could quickly be lost,
As they fought hand to hand, a foothold to gain, they knew they would pay a high cost,
And with bravery that none could expect or demand, they went beyond duty’s call,
Led by their Full Screws and Lance Jacks, the Toms fought , they gave it their all.

Artillery and mortar bombs fell all around, flying shrapnel, designed to slay,
Machine guns spat death as triggers were squeezed, and night sights turned night into day,
Trench to trench, and bunker to bunker, cleared by bayonet, grenade and by gun,
That hill was theirs, before first light came, mission over, the battle was won.

They were brothers and friends, now bonded in blood, there was no celebration that day,
The ground gained, must be held, despite the grave threat, from guns many miles away,
Distant thuds could be heard, as time stood still, death and destruction was in the air,
Then a hideous whine, as the ordnance arrived, with a deadly toll on those still there.

Twenty three brave men died, with many more maimed, on that hill in a far off land,
And the Battalion chefs recovered them all, on stretchers with caring hand,
But the war was not over, the next phase was planned, with no time for sorrow or fright,
With weapons made ready, ammunition restored, exhausted, they slept through the night.

Pray to your God if you have one, warming words on a cold winters morn,
Said quietly by the Sergeant Major, to young men, who were never forlorn,
The mission was clear, they all understood, as they waited the order to go,
No order did come, there was no further need, white flags were raised by their foe.

Their thoughts now turned to brothers lost, who’d paid the ultimate price,
To those who lay broken, on a hospital ship, was it worth the sacrifice,
But they were soldiers, they were the best, in right they all believed,
And in Stanley Cathedral as a Padre preached, to a man they quietly grieved.
© JR
John Ross …

[ Sergeant Ian J McKay VC ]

Sergeant Ian J McKay VC ... 11th June1982

During the night of 11th/12th June 1982, 3rd Battalion The Parachute Regiment mounted a silent night attack on an enemy battalion position on Mount Longdon, an important objective in the battle for Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands. Sergeant McKay was platoon sergeant of 4 Platoon, B Company, which, after the initial objective had been secured, was ordered to clear the Northern side of the long East/West ridge feature, held by the enemy in depth, with strong, mutually-supporting positions.
By now the enemy were fully alert, and resisting fiercely. As 4 Platoon's advance continued it came under increasingly heavy fire from a number of well-sited enemy machine gun positions on the ridge, and received casualties. Realising that no further advance was possible the Platoon Commander ordered the Platoon to move from its exposed position to seek shelter among the rocks of the ridge itself. Here it met up with part of 5 Platoon. The enemy fire was still both heavy and accurate, and the position of the platoons was becoming increasingly hazardous. Taking Sergeant McKay, a Corporal and a few others, and covered by supporting machine gun fire, the Platoon Commander moved forward to reconnoitre the enemy positions but was hit by a bullet in the leg, and command devolved upon Sergeant McKay.

It was clear that instant action was needed if the advance was not to falter and increasing casualties to ensue. Sergeant McKay decided to convert this reconnaissance into an attack in order to eliminate the enemy positions. He was in no doubt of the strength and deployment of the enemy as he undertook this attack. He issued orders, and taking three men with him, broke cover and charged the enemy position. The assault was met by a hail of fire. The Corporal was seriously wounded, a Private killed and another wounded. Despite these losses Sergeant McKay, with complete disregard for his own safety, continued to charge the enemy position alone. On reaching it he despatched the enemy with grenades, thereby relieving the position of beleaguered 4 and 5 Platoons, who were now able to redeploy with relative safety. Sergeant McKay, however, was killed at the moment of victory, his body falling on the bunker. Without doubt Sergeant McKay's action retrieved a most dangerous situation and was instrumental in ensuring the success of the attack. His was a coolly calculated act, the dangers of which must have been all too apparent to him beforehand. Undeterred he performed with outstanding selflessness, perseverance and courage.

Freda McKay- (Sgt-McKay's-mother)

Freda McKay- (Sgt-McKay's-mother)

With a complete disregard for his own safety, he displayed courage and leadership of the highest order, and was an inspiration to all those around him ...

Sgt Ian McKay. VC

Many thanks to James Oconnell for his kind permission to use the above graphic

[ Cpl Keith (Ginge) McCarthy ]

from his Wife Linda

Cpl Keith (Ginge) McCarthy  ... 12th June1982

[  Cpl Steven Hope  ]

  Cpl Steven Hope ... 11th June1982

[ Cpl Stewart P.F. McLaughlin ]

Letter delivered to David Cameron 4th July 2014

Cpl Stewart P.F. McLaughlin ... 11th June1982

Read more

[ L/Cpl Pete Higgs ]

L/Cpl Pete Higgs ... 11th June1982

Left to right Pete Higgs, Colin Charlton and Paul "Ski" Bachurzewski all from patrols, the photo was passed to me (Jimmy O'Connell) by Ski.

Thanks to Jimmy O'Connell for passing this photo on.

Want to contact Jimmy ? ... click here

[ L/Cpl. J (Doc) Murdock ]

L/Cpl. J (Doc) Murdock ... 11th June1982

[  L/Cpl Chris. K. Lovett. (MID) ]

 L/Cpl Chris. K. Lovett. (MID) ... 11th June1982

[ L/Cpl Dave Scott ]

L/Cpl Dave Scott ... 11th June1982

[   Pte Gerald Bull ]

  Pte Gerald Bull ... 11th June1982

[ Pte Jason Burt  ]


Pte Jason Burt ... 11th June1982

Read more

[ Pte Jason Crow  ]

Pte Jonathan Crow ... 11th June1982

[ Pte Mark Dodsworth ]

Pte Mark Dodsworth ... 12th June1982

[ Pte Anthony Greenwood ]

Pte Anthony Greenwood ... 11th June1982

[ Pte Neil Grose ]

Pte Neil Grose ... 11th June1982

For much of his early life Neil lived in the West Country and then in Gosport, Hants. He even had the lilt in his accent to say so. However I know from some research that he was actually born on the 11 June 1964 in the village of Stanbridge and resided there until some time in 1966 when his family moved west.

I joined the Junior Parachute Company (JPC) on the same day as Neil on 09:09.80 and was billeted in the same section and room as he. Over the next twenty months, initially in the Depot and then with B company 3 Para, we and other young soldiers forged an indelible brotherhood. From the very first day in JPC it was obvious that Neil was different from the majority of us trainee paratroopers. He was calm and measured in all that he did. He was not in the least aggressive, preferring a more cerebral approach to his soldiering. His talent for soldiering and leadership was recognised by the training staff and Neil was soon to be made up to a junior NCO. In-fact he was on the shortlist of two to become the junior company sergeant major, unfortunately missing out on the post by the narrowest of margins.

At the beginning of 1982 a group of us were posted to B coy 3 Para to start our adult soldiering careers. Neil continued to exude those rich, rare qualities that made all that knew him respect and love him immensely. In April of that year we sailed on the SS Canberra to the Falklands. As seventeen year olds we were embarking on the greatest adventure of our lives and Neil tackled this period of great excitement with an attitude well in advance of his tender age. He participated in 3 Para's celebrated advance across the islands with good humour, motivating and inspiring many of his friends just through his presence. I last saw Neil on the evening of the 10th June when we were briefed by the company commander about the pending attack on Longdon. Many of us youngsters got together to discuss the work ahead. It was an emotional time that was driven by the realisation that the company would be losing men to the ravages of war in the coming hours. I spoke to Neil and others that had been together since September 1980 and the prevailing mood was sombre yet positive.

The photo was taken on Jason Burt's camera
From Mark Eyles-Thomas
When we visited Terry Burt (Jason Burt's Mum) on Saturday (9th May 2015) she gave me this photo. It's of (left to right) me, Neil Grose (KIA - Mt Longdon - 12th June 1982) and Ian Scrivens (KIA - Mt Longdon - 12th June 1982) on the Canberra on the way down south (all three of us 17 years old). The photo was taken on Jason Burt's camera (KIA - Mt Longdon - 12th June 1982).
"We will remember them" - "Freedom and, in this case, Liberation has a price that should never be taken for granted or forgotten" - RIP - God bless them all x

On his eighteenth birthday Neil advanced to contact with the company, attacking positions with 4 Platoon to the northern side of the ridge. At some time after midnight on the 12th June Neil was shot in the chest and died some three hours later as his friends struggled to save his life. I heard of his death by a mutual friend in the Regimental aid post at some point during the next morning. Two other friends from our time in Juniors died that night, and the loss still bites. The battalion lost twenty three dead on Longdon, many from B company who led he initial assault. Without exaggeration Neil was an exceptional soldier and human being. In the time I knew him I never heard a detrimental comment aimed at him. He had a large circle of friends who trusted his actions and decisions implicitly. His cool head and caring nature are recognised as only two of his great characteristics. Additionally his humour in abundance often lightened the tiring, painful workload we all shared. Having spoken recently to other veterans I can qualify that this is not my isolated opinion, more a widely held understanding amongst all that knew him that Neil Grose was a true hero throughout his short life. Stanbridge, his place of birth, can be truly proud to have a son such as he.

JB, B coy, 3 Para ... Want to read more ... The Falklands Conflict - or some personal Memoirs Click Here

[ Pte Pete Hedicker ]

Pte Peter Hedicker ... 12th June1982

Peter was born on May 25th 1960, in the Louise Margaret Hospital, Aldershot. He was the second son of Rita and the late Bill Hedicker; his father was a career soldier who spent 27 years in the Royal Army Service Corps, later the Royal Corps of Transport. As an "Army brat" Peter went to eight schools, finishing up at the Heron Wood school in Aldershot. During his school years he was a keen Cub and Scout. On leaving, he did a number of different jobs in and around Aldershot, including time as a barman in the Royal Exchange public house, where he met and made friends with a number of young soldiers from the Parachute Regiment. This prompted his decision to join up in September 1980, the same month in which his father hung up his own beret on retirement. Peter's pre-induction haircut was a major sponsorship event, supported by the regulars and staff of the Royal Exchange! On completion of his training, which was completed without incident or injury, Private Peter Hedicker was posted to 3 PARA, then in Aldershot, but which was subsequently moved to Tidworth. He chose to specialise in Infantry Support Weapons, and became an expert member of a Milan ATGM (Anti-Tank Guided Missile) fire team.

In this role he deployed to the South Atlantic in "SS CANBERRA", landing on the Falkland Islands with 3 PARA on Friday May 21st 1982 as part of the amphibious assault conducted by 3rd Commando Brigade. Peter then took part in the epic "tab" from Port San Carlos to Estancia House, and subsequently across the Murrell River to the start line for the battle of Mount Longdon. During that long, hard fight on the night of June 12th Peter was killed, along with Corporal Keith "Ginge" McCarthy and Private Phil West of his Milan team, by a direct hit from an Argentine 106mm recoiless weapon. Peter was temporarily interred with his 3 PARA colleagues at Teal Inlet, then repatriated by sea to Southampton in November. After a funeral with full military honours, his body now lies in the Aldershot Military Cemetery, next to that of Sergeant Ian McKay VC. 
His name is also recorded on the nearby granite memorial to the members of the Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces who gave their lives in the cause of Freedom. 

Peter is survived by his mother, Rita, and by his brother Stephen and sister, Nicola. In his name, they are all Special Members of SAMA82.

[ Pte Tim Jenkins]

Pte Tim Jenkins ... 12th June1982

[ Pte Craig. E. Jones ]

Pte Craig. E. Jones ... 11th June1982

[  Pte Stewart Laing  ]

 Pte Stewart Laing ... 11th June1982

I first met Stewart or Geordie to his friends in 1979 in the Parachute Regiment Depot, he joined 459 platoon after having an injury with a previous platoon, I was not keen on him at first as he was a very boisterous person all ways very loud, but as I got to know Stewart, you found a good friend who would do anything for you, give you the shirt off his back if he had to. At the end of our time in depot we were posted to 3 Para, Stewart went to A company and I went to B company, again Stewart was very popular in A company and stayed there till 1981. After the battalion came back from Northern Ireland, he and I both applied to do an anti tank cadre and joined Support Company, where Geordie made lots of close friends like Pat Harley, Kev Connery, Johno, Mushrooms, Terry Martin, Charlie Hardwick, and many more, too many to mention, We went to Canada and had a ball! life in the battalion was great, life was good, to good to last.

Then came April 1982, off we sailed on the SS Canberra and we as a platoon and we drank our fill. When we landed, Support Company was split up, divided between the different Company's in the battalion "A, B and C. Stewart died on Mount Longdon doing what he always did, "helping a friend" He will always be remembered by those us who knew him, not a day goes by that we don't think of him, and the other members of the anti tanks who died that night and the rest of the battalion, Whenever I think of him its always with a big smile on his face, he was a great loss.

Good night and God bless Stewart

Jimmy O`Connell ... To contact Jimmy please click

[ Pte Ian Patrick Scrivens  ]


Pte Ian Patrick Scrivens ... 11th June1982

The photo was taken on Jason Burt's camera

From Mark Eyles-Thomas
When we visited Terry Burt (Jason Burt's Mum) on Saturday (9th May 2015) she gave me this photo. It's of (left to right) me, Neil Grose (KIA - Mt Longdon - 12th June 1982) and Ian Scrivens (KIA - Mt Longdon - 12th June 1982) on the Canberra on the way down south (all three of us 17 years old). The photo was taken on Jason Burt's camera (KIA - Mt Longdon - 12th June 1982).
"We will remember them" - "Freedom and, in this case, Liberation has a price that should never be taken for granted or forgotten" - RIP - God bless them all x


[ Pte Philip West ]

Pte Philip West ... 11th June1982

[ Pte Richard John De Mansfield Absolon (MM) ]

Pte Richard John De Mansfield Absolon (MM) ... 13th June1982

The church is the oldest stone church in New Zealand and houses the standards and military memorabilia of the early British Garrison that was next to the church in the 1800's. It's our pleasure to include on this website Richard's memorial it is in the grounds of St Mary's Anglican Cathedral, Red Coat Lane, New Plymouth, New Zealand.

[ St Mary's Anglican Cathedral ]

[ MM ]

9 Parachute Squadron Royal Engineers

[ 9 Parachute Squadron Royal Engineers ]

[ Cpl Scotty Wilson ]

 Cpl Scotty Wilson ... 13th June1982

Cpl Scotty Wilson was Killed while attached to the 3rd Bn Parachute Regiment during the Battle of Mount Longdon.
Cpl Wilson's Wife's sister, also lost her husband Cpl McCarthy of 3 Para in the same Battle on the same day.

[ Cpl A. G. McIlvenny ]

Cpl A. G. McIlvenny ... 8th June1982

[ Spr Wayne. D. Tarbard ]


Spr W. D. Tarbard ... 8th June1982

Wayne was the first son of David and Jocelyn Tarbard. Born on 6th January 1963 in Burton on Trent, the second child of five children - Sharon, Karl, Maxine and Kirsty. Wayne attended primary school in Hilton, followed by a secondary education at Hatton School. Here he began to develop a yearning for a career in the Armed Forces. He was a keen sportsman, playing for a local football team with aspirations of playing for Liverpool, his favourite club, and he was also a member of the Marston Church choir (though not renowned for his singing voice!). Wayne was always interested in people around him and the part time pocket money jobs he undertook reflected his interest in the village and the surrounding community - a Butchers lad for the local butcher, paper rounds and a variety of jobs at the Hilcrete Company. However his long-term career path was to join the Army and work towards a trade. To this end he enlisted at The Royal Engineers Apprentice College in Chepstow at 16 and a half years of age.

After completing his training he qualified as an Engineer and was posted to Maidstone in Kent to 36 Royal Engineers Regiment. He made many friends most of whom came home every weekend and made use of the hospitality offered by his family and friends. Fried egg sandwiches were definitely the order of the day!

In April 1982 Wayne received the news that 36 Engineer Regiment were to be deployed on Operation Corporate (The Falkland Islands) - the squadron became part of 4 Troop 9 Para Squadron. With his colleagues he sailed on the QE2 to the South Atlantic, destination South Georgia. The Squadron was then transferred to a smaller vessel to reach San Carlos Bay. On the 7th June 1982 Wayne's Squadron was aboard HMS Fearless alongside the Welsh Guards in order to undertake a frontal assault on Port Stanley. This mission was aborted due to bad weather conditions. The men were dropped off on land and picked up by the Sir Galahad. On the 8th June 1982 the Sir Galahad was lying off Fitzroy Bay when it was bombed by Argentine aircraft. Wayne was listed as missing in action. The Sir Galahad was later scuttled as a war grave in Falklands Water.

 Wayne's South Atlantic Medal can be seen in the Royal Engineers Museum in Chatham, Kent.


L/Cpl J. B. Pashley... 13th June1982


L/Cpl J B Pashley, he was attached to the 2nd Bn Scots Guards and was killed during the attack on Tumbledown Mountain ... Tony (AL) Fry and six others buried him at Ajax Bay shortly after he was killed ... contact Tony ... www.ninepara.co.uk 

216 Parachute Squadron Royal Signals



[ Major Mike. L. Forge ]

[ 216 ]


Major Mike. L. Forge ... 5th June1982

S/Sgt J. ( John) J. Baker ... 5th June1982

Joe trained as a Radio Operator and joined the Squadron in 1966. He was Cpl by the time he re-trained to Radio Telegraphist in 1972. He became crypto trained and worked behind the "Green Door" in 16 Para Bde Comcen. With knowledge of amateur boxing as a lad, Joe was very useful in the training of a successful Sqn boxing team. He achieved promotion to Sergeant and served in the original Squadron, until it re-mustered to become 6 Fd Force HQ & Signal Squadron in 1976.

Joe Baker Joe Baker

ParaData ... Thanks to Richard Hamilton who provided photos and a small bit of John's life with 216

[ 216 ]

During the Falklands Campaign in 1982, Joe was a SSgt in 5 Field Force HQ & Sig Sqn; his OC was Major Mike Forge. On the 5th of June 1982, Joe and the OC were flying to visit a hilltop Rebro site, when their Gazelle helicopter was shot down by a sea-to-air missile, fired from a patrolling RN warship. The incident was later described as “blue-on-blue.” Joe, Mike, and the Gazelle aircrew, were all killed.

Joe was a particularly popular member of 216; fit, enthusiastic, and hard as nails, but approachable and friendly in every aspect of his work and life. He was a good soldier and a great friend to many. Joe was married to Freda, they had two children.

A memorial stone to Joe (and Mike Forge) has been erected in the grounds of the old church at Caythorpe in Lincolnshire, from where the 1st Airborne Divisional Signals deployed to Arnhem in 1944. Both in memory, and in fact, Joe is in good company; he lies buried in the Falklands beside other members of the Taskforce, who lost their lives during Operation Corporate.

Below is an article about Mr Terry Peck ... Cancer has taken the life of Mr. Terry Peck, a Falklands hero of the 1982 conflict with Argentina. He passed away on the morning of Saturday, 30 December 2006 ... I thought that you should know about him, and his name should be recorded. He was made an honorary member of 3rd Battalion Parachute Regiment.

[ Mr Terry Peck ]

Terry was sworn back in as Special Constable the day before Argentina invaded and at one time was considered by the Argentine occupiers as a candidate for Chief of Police; they could not have considered a more unsuitable candidate. He immediately began to do his utmost to undermine the occupying forces. His behaviour after the invasion caused consternation amongst the locals as he appeared to be wandering around Port Stanley clutching a length of drainpipe. In reality this disguised a telephoto lens, with which he photographed Argentine preparations for the defence of the town. The photographs he had taken were smuggled out of the Falklands by British contract workers taking the opportunity to leave the islands, providing valuable intelligence for British Forces. The Argentine military police, led by Major Patricio Dowling, arrived on the islands with detailed files on many islanders, particularly those known for their anti-Argentine views. Dowling, an Argentine of Irish origin who hated all things British, frequently over-stepped his authority, ignoring instructions to treat the islanders with respect and quickly became known for his tendency to resort to violence. Constable Anton Livermore had been asked to stay on with the police force to defuse potentially serious clashes between locals and the Argentines. Increasingly unhappy in the role he found himself in, when he heard Dowling discussing the imminent arrest of Terry Peck he took the opportunity to warn his former boss.

Having prepared a possible escape plan for some time, Terry armed himself with a pistol, borrowed a motorbike from the garage of an expatriate and fled Stanley. His first stop was Long Island Farm, home of Neil and Glenda Watson, where a party was in full swing celebrating the Queen’s birthday. This was nearly his undoing as the party did not hear the approach of a Puma helicopter till too late and the house was already surrounded by Argentine soldiers. Fortunately the search of the house was half-hearted and he escaped detection with the simple expedient of locking himself in the toilet. He left for Green Patch to find the locals expecting him, there he acquired cold weather gear and rations left there by a party of Royal Navy sailors from HMS Endurance, He then spent ten miserable days camping in a remote part of the islands known as Geordie's Valley, where he had fished before the occupation. Eventually the cold sapped his morale and he risked a fire for the chance of a hot meal, unfortunately just as it was ready he accidentally knocked it over.

Sir Rex Hunt ...

He is survived by Mavis and his children, Antony and Diana.

Rex Masterman Hunt, diplomat and colonial administrator, born 29 June 1926; died 11 November 2012

Falklands governor who defiantly refused to shake Argentinian general's hand after invasion dies aged 86 ... Sir Rex Hunt was considered a hero in the Falklands. He will be best remembered for his refusal to shake invading commander General Oswald Garcia’s hand.

Sir Rex

Sir Rex Hunt, who was governor of the Falkland Islands during the 1982 Argentine invasion, Sir Rex, who was considered a hero in the Falklands, will be remembered for his 'courage and dignity' in facing the invasion, the island's government said.

The Yorkshireman took up his post in 1980 and was ousted as governor of the British overseas territory by invading Argentinian forces on April 2 1982, when he was taken prisoner and expelled to Uruguay.

After refusing a plan to hide in the hills and outnumbered after a fierce gun battle, Sir Rex took the painful decision to surrender. But he made one final act of defiance when, dressed in full gubernatorial uniform, he refused to shake invading commander General Oswald Garcia’s hand.

The islands were recaptured by British forces on June 14 1982 that year after then-prime minister Margaret Thatcher deployed a naval taskforce to the South Atlantic ocean. He returned as Governor following the 74-day war and remained in his post until 1985.
During the weeks of the war, Sir Rex stayed in London while his wife and son were in a house in Kent. He also served for many years as chairman of the Falkland Islands Association and as president of the UK Falkland Islands Trust and was granted the freedom of the island capital, Stanley, in 1985.

Today the Falkland Islands government said in a statement: 'We received news of the passing of Sir Rex Hunt with great sadness. 'Sir Rex will forever be remembered in the islands for his years of service as governor, and particularly for his courage and dignity in facing the Argentine invasion in 1982. 'His numerous contributions to our home were recognised in his being granted the freedom of Stanley in 1985.

'A loyal friend of the Falkland Islands, he served for many years as chairman of the Falkland Islands Association and as president of the UK Falkland Islands Trust. 'His passion and commitment to the Falkland Islands will be sorely missed. 'The thoughts and deepest sympathies of all Falkland islanders are with his family and friends at this sad time.'

Sir Rex Hunt was born in Redcar, Yorkshire, and educated at the local Coatham school. He read law at St Peter's College, Oxford, before joining the RAF as a cadet in 1941. He was commissioned as a pilot in 1944, and flew Spitfires with No 5 Squadron in India in 1946 before transferring to Germany with No 26 Squadron in 1947. He left active service in 1948, but remained in the reserves, where he reached the rank of flight lieutenant, until 1951.

Sir Rex Hunt was knighted in October 1982.